If your gums are red, swollen, tender, or bleed easily, you might have gum disease. Also known as periodontal disease, gum disease is caused by a bacterial infection and could lead to tooth loss without prompt treatment. Dr. Dan Gustavson and Dr. James Dunn, the experienced dentists at Auburn Dental Aesthetics in Auburn, CA, diagnose and treat gum disease. They can develop a treatment plan for restoring the health of your gums.
Signs of Gum Disease
Gum disease can develop as a result of plaque and tartar build-up on the teeth. Plaque that is not cleared away ultimately hardens into tartar, which contains bacteria that can infect the soft tissue around the gums. There are two main stages of gum disease. The early stage is called gingivitis, while more advanced gum disease is known as periodontitis.
Signs that you might have gum disease include:
- Sensitive gums
- Receding gums
- Gums that bleed easily
- Red, swollen, or tender gums
- Pain when chewing
- Changes in your bite
- Persistent bad breath
- Loose teeth
- Tooth loss
If you have any of the symptoms of gum disease, you must see a dentist right away to stop the infection from spreading and causing additional oral health problems. Several options are available for treating the infection and restoring gum health.
Treatments for Gum Disease
Do not delay seeking treatment if you suspect you might have gum disease. The skilled dentists at our office in Auburn, CA, utilize several surgical and non-surgical methods for treating gum disease and restoring the health of your gums. Treatment is essential for stopping the infection from spreading to other areas, including the bone tissue that supports the teeth. If gum disease is allowed to spread, tooth loss could eventually occur.
Treatments for gum disease include:
- Scaling and Root Planing: A procedure for deep-cleaning below the gum line to remove plaque and tartar buildup.
- Periodontal Laser Treatment: Using laser technology to remove infected gum tissue with minimal shrinkage of the gums.
- Gum Grafting: A procedure for replacing lost or damaged gum tissue by grafting healthy tissue from another area of the mouth.
- Gum Lift: A procedure for exposing more of the teeth when excess gum tissue is covering them.
- Dental Implants: Dental implants help restore your smile following tooth loss. The implants are placed directly in the jaw bone and hold crowns, bridgework, or fixed dentures in place.
You might have gum disease if your teeth have shifted or are loose. Other signs of gum disease include red, swollen, or tender gums that bleed easily. Dr. Gustavson or Dr. Dunn can determine if you have gum disease and develop a treatment plan to restore gum health. To schedule an appointment with one of our experienced dentists, call Auburn Dental Aesthetics in Auburn, CA, at (530) 830-3333.